GasHouse Site Q Linus put out a request for Q’s and I accepted the challenge. I had an idea that was brewing so I wanted to try it out. Problem is, I couldn’t get it to work the way I wanted. There are such things as “simple Q’s” (read Sister Act’s backblast when he writes it next month). I’ve done a few of those, but I pride myself to push the creative limits (see 2020 Best Q of the Year award – #justsayin). So, I went to work on a Weinke that would challenge the PAX’s body and mind. The parking lot at GasHouse was full. This was like the old days 4 or 5 years ago when the GasHouse was the Saturday AO. Now, with two other options on the calendar, attendance has spread – and that is a good thing. Lots of EC for rucks and runs so the circle gathered around. Freight was kind of to remind me that it was 0700. But I go by the Q’s watch which was a minute slower, compared to Freights at least. Scanning the circle – we had some Nantans present. New Nantan Broke, then former ones in Freight and Tool Time aka the Mumble Chatter Twins. But then we also had THE Nantan, he was until recently, …welcome to DREDD. If you thought ‘Oh Shit’ don’t think YHC didn’t either. I work for Bank of America and that is like Hugh McColl sitting at the table while I lead a presentation. Here we go:
- Toy Soldier IC x 10
- Seal Jack IC x 10
- Imperial Walker Squat IC x 10
- Bulldog Jacks (what? Get on all 4’s, hover knees just off the ground, arms go out and back in) these aren’t easy. The scheduled 10 was Omaha’ed to 5 but not because of the PAX complaining, because they’re hard).
- Side to Side Lunge IC x 10
- Pledge – split up: Pain Lab with Les Nessman, Bootcamp follow me
With musical accompaniment (my playlist, not Sargentos) we moseyed to the First Presbyterian Church back parking lot…Freight commented it was the first time he’d seen people there…I don’t disagree but that is another problem F3 cannot solve. Find a curb to begin some Tabata: 40 seconds on, 20 seconds off.
- Rocky Balboa 4 count + 1 Burp
- Bobby Hurley x 2, side shuffle across the parking space, Bobby Hurley x 2
- Mike Tyson x 2 + Donkey Kicks x 2
- Rinse & Repeat
I then asked PAX to spread out into their own parking space for the mini-4 corners
- Bottom left corner: 10 Merkins, Bear Crawl forward to the top
- 10 Mtn Climbers (count right leg), plank walk right
- 10 Shoulder Taps (count 1 side), Joe Hendricks to the bottom corner
- 10 Plank Jacks, plank walk left to the start
- 2-line suicide x 10
- Brief rest, repeat
I was ahead of schedule…what to do? I offered the PAX options. Repeat the two things we did or Option C. Hmm, PAX shouted “C” therefore YHC reached into the bag of tricks and pulled out “Walk the Plank.” Start on the left side of the parking space for 6 Merkins, plank-walk right to perform 1 Burp, plank-walk left for 5…you get the idea. Think 7’s instead of 11’s, why? Because I had more shoulder/arm work to come. Once complete, mosey across the street to Grier Middle School. This time for 11’s, the traditional way with Freddie Mercury and LBC’s. Freight said LBC’s weren’t challenging him. So, I threw out Rocket Burpees…Rocket Burpees you say? Only Pizza Man bought in so after a demo round or two, I went back to LBC’s. Don’t worry – I’ll find a way to get you some Rocket Burpees.
Next was the main event. You know the idea I mentioned that I had to replace – yeah that one. So, we moseyed to the football field and split 16 men into four teams of four. I had four sets of exercises. One of the groups would be on the track to run a lap as the “timer” while the other three completed the work. The groups repeated each set until all of the running group returned.
- Set 1
- 10 Squat Jumps + 10 Burps + 10 Merkins + 1 Burpee
- Set 2
- 10 SSH + Sgl Arm Tricep Merkin 10 Left then 10 Right + 10 LBCs
- Set 3
- 5 Snowboard Ski Abs (have to demo it for you) + 10 Forearm Merkins + 10 Am Hammers
- Set 4
- 5 Mahktar Merkins (correct, combine the two together – it’s not as hard as it sounds) + 10 Goofballs (because Sargento posted and it’s his favorite) + 10 Mtn Climber
Because the runners missed a set while on the track, I combined Groups 1 & 3 to run while Groups 2 & 4 exercised then flipped that. The final set was to keep everyone together for some core work.
- Legs at 90 degrees, 10 crunches
- Dolly’s IC x 10
- Freddie Mercury IC x 10
- Ski Abs in high plank IC x 5
- Ski Abs in low plank IC x 5
- Elbow plank rollovers – maybe 10 – it was out of control at this point.
We returned to base with a few minutes to spare. Flutter Kicks in streamline position IC x 20, Suitcase Crunches until time. TIME!
- Extinction Run February 13th at Primal Brewing in Belmont at 9 am. See pre-blast
- Support Today – Round-Up and Hacksaw running 1 mile every hour (goes until 4:30 am Sunday)
- New AO on Fridays in Belmont is a GO! Great job to those organizing and Orangeman to be Site Q
- Tik-tok in Race City losing his wife suddenly
- Roscoe – passing of an CMPD officer (natural causes)
- Flintstone – family friends grieving over suicide
- Those with addictions
- YHC took us out
We had an FNG with us attend Pain Lab. Tube had been EH’ing him. Jay Jarrell was in the Navy (Slaw – you have a friend) but plays Foreigner tunes in a cover band. Welcome Dirty White Boy. Today was a fun morning, at least for me. Of course, I tried to create a workout that would be challenging and interesting. I had a playlist to pump some volume into the group. I intentionally kept the group together without long moseys and sets on time rather than total reps. A great opportunity for discussion and chatter. Only it was more friendly talk among the PAX. Unbeknownst to me was a challenge to see if Tool Time could rattle me to the point of me telling him to “F-off.” I never got to that point, at least not to use those exact words, (thankfully?). But it wasn’t for lack of trying between TT and Freight. It was too quiet for DREDD’s liking as he erupted 40 minutes in to generate lively banter among the PAX. It’s the environment he’s accustomed. We’re a product of his creation but as we approach 6 years of life, we still have a lot to learn. So, we can take that to heart as we post in the gloom (or afternoon) and provide some Candor to the Q and our fellow PAX. Create the furious chaos to elevate the disruption.
Always room for improvement. Thanks for the opportunity to lead.