One morning a Mongol ventured far away from his Fightin’ fartsack. He traveled 39 miles by rickshaw to the land of roundeyes, beards, and breakfast. The last time his people had been that far West was the laying of the early railroads… which history shows, didn’t end all that well for them (reference: dynamite “accidents”). Nevertheless, he and 23 other Gastoniagols clansmen met up to do semi-ridiculous things… and strengthened their bond as brothers. This is their story.
- 0630… prayers for Pizza Man’s niece Courtney, quick disclaimer and we’re off
- Fake warmup attempt … SSH, I/W
- Let’s do this. 35 Merkin ladder (5 reg, 5 wide, 5 diamond, 5 R offset, 5 L offset, 5 R leg high, 5 L leg high) on YHC up/down cadence
- Backwards & sideways run up the hill to the tennis courts (any direction but forwards)
- Agility drill #1 on tennis courts: Run the boundaries of each of the 4 tennis courts, turning hard on the corners (forward, side-shuffle, backwards). Move them hips!!!
- Agility Drill #2 on the tennis courts: 3 rounds of suicide sprints to 4 lines on 2 tennis courts. Each round doing burpees, low squats, and Carolina dry docks at the baseline). Move them hips!!!
- 28 Merkin ladder (4 reg, 4 wide, 4 diamond, 4 R offset, 4 L offset, 4 R leg high, 4 L leg high)
- Backwards & sideways run up the hill to the horse track (anything but forwards)
- Three 4 man X ~250 meter Team Relay races. 6 diff teams. Each team members sprints AYG on the horse track lap (avoiding all the poo). While runner is on the track, teammates squat and forward lunge.
- 21 Merkin ladder (3 reg, 3 wide, 3 diamond, 3 R offset, 3 L offset, 3 R leg high, 3 L leg high)
- On concrete bleachers, ascending and descending plank-merkins from the bottom to the top and back down.
- 14 Merkin ladder (2 reg, 2 wide, 2 diamond, 2 R offset, 2 L offset, 2 R leg high, 2 L leg high)
- Mosey back to launch
- Individual Tug-O-War… members of relay teams 1, 3, 5 versus 2, 4, 6
- Pledge of allegiance, serious-not-so-serious pictures, Finito!!!
YHC had an absolute blast with you brothers this morning. We worked hard, we supported each other, we pushed each other. We refreshed our memory of why we F3, and taught others possibly for the first time what F3 is beyond the workout. F3 has been the catalyst for many of the changes in my life in almost all quadrants… family, work, fitness, friendship, and most importantly Faith. So YHC feels compelled from time to time to share that with you all, so hopeful you can enrich your lives and the lives of others on your journey.
Some of you asked for the link so here’s it is…. it’s my “TED” Talk (~20min) I have about #WHOPUSHESWHO … Finding what you were meant to do >>> https://youtu.be/prEGCsHw2qw
You men in Gastonia have held a special place in my mongol heart for a while. In addition to breeding great leaders, having one of the sickest newsletters, and just being a fun loving crew. YHC always will remember the tremendous support you threw behind SPEED FOR NEED, time and treasure, when it was just an idea. And that just hasn’t stopped in your caring for the community SFN. So thank you.
On that note, a couple of other musings from the morning…
- Tooltime tried to kick off the mumblechatter very early…. but YHC had none of it, and quickly transmitted my NPR podcast into his noggin and he became the Wikipedia of F3 nowlege.
- On the horse track, Def Leppard went down like Frazier. The Kentucky Derby replay official was not present to review if there was jock interference and if disqualification was warranted. Nevertheless, that stud still has game! No need to send him to the glue factory….yet
- Pizza Man almost refusenik’d the ascending planks on the concrete bleachers. Claiming concern over messing his teeth up. YHC agreed to cover dental bills from any new injury, but not that pre-existing condition of a messed up grill that he already has!
- Slaw is a beast… showing off his #perfectform on the merkin sets and also could win a staring competition with his Q eye-contact focus. Appreciate the effort today, and the pancake!
- Oompa showed up 30 minutes early to do his promised 30 burpees. Pro-tip… you can sleep in 15 minutes more, if you do them in 15 minutes. (Pro-tip coming from the guy who did not offer to do any with him)
- Even though it took 6 trips to the gas station to get to the AO, Col Allen Tate rode up with his boyz in one of the sickest military humvees anyone’s ever seen!
- Rock A Billy never quit. Even worked some of his stomach muscles with dry heave at some point. Keep it up brother.
- Please keep Pizza Man and his family in your prayers as they try to deal with the loss of his niece Courtney.
JRR Tolkien aka Fighting Mongol aka El Chino Guapo